Tuesday, November 22, 2005

All the Former House Majority Leader's Men

Starring Tom "Hammer" DeLay, Jack Abramoff, and a cast of corruption.

From the Times: "Michael Scanlon, former aide to a powerful congressman and onetime partner of a wealthy lobbyist, pleaded guilty today to a federal conspiracy charge as part of a deal in which he agreed to cooperate with an investigation into possible wrongdoing by some lawmakers."

Coming soon to a courtroom -- or a TV set -- near you.

**********

See Talking Points Memo, The Left Coaster, TalkLeft, and Think Progress. Firedoglake has a great post.

And see The Next Hurrah: "Whatever your complaints and concerns about this President... 2006 is the only way to readjust the relationshipo between the Congress and the WH. If you want Congressional oversight, you'd best elect a few more Democrats. Else there'll be more of the same for the next three years. And for so many reasons, from Iraq to scandal resolution, that would be a national tragedy."

I try to be "fair and balanced" in my moderation, but I don't think I've ever been this partisan. We do need more -- many more -- Democrats in Congress.

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • "I try to be 'fair and balanced' in my moderation, but I don't think I've ever been this partisan. We do need more -- many more -- Democrats in Congress."

    This points out just one of the many forms of damage these folks have wounded the US identity with. I've always considered myself just left of center. This Administration in particular (which IMHO is only the culmination of a long decay on the right) has turned me into a partisan. I vote a straight ticket at this point - something that once, as policy, would never have occured to me. But concentrated power most certainly corrupts - in ways I wouldn't have believed possible in this country.

    Karl Rove's "genius" is nothing more than pathological amorality. In the end, even Atwater had his come to Jesus moment. Somehow, I don't ever see that happening to Mr. Rove.

    They have governed through division - pitting one American against the other - while Dubya shucked and jived and told us he was a "uniter, not a divider," indeed, during a period we most needed to be united. We had that unity on Sept. 11, and the months that followed - and they've burned that unity in a bonfire of politics, lies, corruption, and division.

    Some day, I hope I can vote for a Republican. Because it would be a good thing for the country when me and people like me, feel confident enough in the Republican Party and its representatives to do that - once again. It won't happen soon, though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home