Friday, February 03, 2006

Untruthful container of canine feces

I've been meaning to do a round-up of reaction to Tuesday's SOTU, but Bush's address was so forgettable that, well, I've more or less forgotten about it, content in retrospect to leave it to the existential dustbin of meaninglessness (or the meaningless dustbin of existence -- whichever).

All I remember is something about, uh, the march of freedom and oil addiction and isolationism and re-authorizing the Patriot Act and two of dad's favourite people and guest workers and switch grass and, uh, human-animal hybrids. And that just lost me. (You can find my immediate response to the SOTU here. I take none of it back.)

Here, by the way, was perhaps the worst of many bad sentences: "[Many Americans] are concerned about unethical conduct by public officials and discouraged by activist courts that try to redefine marriage." In one single line, Bush dismissed the scandals that have wormed their way throughout his own party, attacked liberals, and singled out gays and lesbians as lesser citizens unworthy of equal rights.

Welcome to the world of compassionate conservatism...

Anyway, about that round-up. I just don't have either the energy or the inclination. Besides, my good friend Joe Gandelman has already done an excellent one -- see here.

Oh, and that oil addition thing? You know, how America will reduce its dependence on Middle East oil? Apparently it was all a lie.

So what else is new?

**********

Note: The title of this post is a sanitized version of a line that my viewing companion, a young woman experiencing her very first SOTU, uttered after one of Bush's many examples of misinformation. I forget which one. Think, "Lying sack of..." I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home