Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hold the gas

I'm not sure if this is a Sign of the Apocalypse or a Sign of the Renaissance, but it's a sign of something:

A method of creating super-nutritious but flatulence-free beans has been developed by scientists.

Beans are a cheap and key source of nutrition especially in the developing world, but many people are thought to be put off by anti-social side-effects.

A Venezuelan team says fermenting beans with certain friendly bacteria can cut the amount of wind-causing compounds, and boost beans' nutritional value.

By the way, "[f]latulence is caused by bacteria that live in the large intestine breaking down parts of food -- such as soluble fibre -- that have not been digested higher in the gut". Good times.

I don't know. I like beans. All kinds. Always have. But the so-called "anti-social side-effects" just haven't been that severe. At least not severe enough to turn me against beans. Unless I didn't notice, of course.

But I suppose I'll eat the new beans. Whatever works.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home