Saturday, May 27, 2006

What would Simon say?

By J. Kingston Pierce

Most discouraging news of the week: Far more Americans (63.4 million)
voted for the latest American Idol winner, 29-year-old soul singer Taylor Hicks, than have ever voted for a U.S. president. Maybe future White House contests should be turned into reality-TV series, just to get more people involved. Frankly, though, I wouldn’t want to watch Hillary Clinton trying to belt out “Lady Marmalade,” or Al Gore’s rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody”; nor could I face George Allen butchering “Mandy,” or John McCain trying once again to suck up to Christianist conservatives by wrapping his aged vocal chords around “Hallelujah.”

(Cross-posted at Limbo.)

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • Taylor,
    I knew you were going to win
    you had the soul patrol behind you
    i wish you could of sang somewhere over the rainbow. My dads birthday was on May 16th and He was My American Idol. I wish they Could Name it Taylor Hicks Gwinn Americal Idol Day. As in Taylor Win Hicks Day. Wouldn't that be Great. My Dad Passed soon to be a Year this August. We were very Close. He was with me through everything. Through surgery's, through me being raped, He was my American Idol. Taylor Your are the American Idol. Congradulations.
    May Your Life Bring Great Happiness.
    Sincerely,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

  • Actually, I think the 63 million was the number of votes cast between the top two, not for Taylor by himself. So, more votes were cast in the contest than any president has received by themself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 PM  

  • I also think the 63 million was total votes. Regardless, people can vote multiple times. In fact, you can set your phone to redial continuously over the 2 hr voting period, so any attempted comparison to unique voters is boud to be way, way off the mark.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home