Saturday, July 22, 2006

Scenes of Beirut

I've expressed my support for Israel, however conditional, as well as my frustration with the irresponsibility of some of the foreign evacuees, but these are some awfully powerful photos of Beirut under attack. Even if Israel has a right to defend itself and has thus far done so proportionately (which is arguable, I admit), and even if Hezbollah is to blame for hiding behind civilian shields, these images (which I found at the BBC) fill me with a profound sadness:



Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Proportion bullshit. See the light stickings, even your own English countrymen are denouncing the Israeli stricks.



    Britain's junior foreign office minister Kim Howells made London's most unequivocal criticism yet of Israel's offensive, in stark contrast to the line taken by Washington.

    "These are not surgical strikes. It's very difficult to understand the kind of military tactics that are being used," Howells said in Beirut.

    "If they are chasing Hezbollah, then go for Hezbollah. You don't go for the entire Lebanese nation," he said. "I very much hope that the Americans understand what's happening to Lebanon -- the destruction of the infrastructure, the death of so many children and so many people."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home