Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Deconstructing Dubya

I had intended Monday night (or yesterday) to write some stirring response to the president's 9/11 address. But it was all so predictable, so divisive, so self-serving that, upon reflection, I just didn't see the point. What did he say that we hadn't heard before, the eternal recurrence of the same old nonsense? What could I have said that I and many others hadn't said before, over and over again, often to the point of exhaustion and frustration?

In the end, I preferred to welcome back Stewart and Colbert from their two-week post-Emmy break. (Where would we be without them to keep us laughing?) The former's Bush-on-Osama montage, which highlighted the president's web of contradiction and untruth, was particularly hilarious (in that typically disturbing sort of way) -- click on the link for the video.

Some of my response to Bush's address has come in the posts I put up yesterday (with more coming today -- stay tuned), but let me also send you over to visit our guest blogger Edward Copeland, who has deciphered Bush's speech line by misleading line. His analysis, it seems to me, uncovers what Bush was really saying last night.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home