Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My World Series pick

By Heraclitus

This is for you gamblers out there. I almost posted something two weeks ago, when Michael was in Pittsburgh and the Bengals beat the Steelers, predicting a Bengals-Bears Super Bowl. I'm still fairly confident about the Bears, especially if Rex Grossman can play well in the playoffs, but the Bengals don't seem so hot after being dismantled by the Patriots. After the Yankees won Game 1 of their series with the Tigers, with Jeter going 5-for-5 (he ended batting over .500 for the series), and Abreu and Sheffield hitting so well, I almost predicted that the Yankees would be in the World Series again, or at least almost posted something about how it seemed likely. So, if you gamble, bet on the teams I don't pick. Only maybe not so much in the American League, where I think we can say with confidence that the Tigers will win. I also believe they'll win the World Series, against the Cardinals, whose hitting will be too much for the Mets, who, for their part, will crumple under the pressure, with the exception of Carlos Beltran. I know that if you have little success with predictions, you should probably keep what prognostications you do make short and sweet, but there it is. Now, get out there and put a dime on the Mets.

**********

UPDATE: Bottom of the third, 3-1 Athletics, because Milton effing Bradley just hit a two-run home run. What did I tell you?


**********

UPDATE 2: Tigers 7, A's 4 -- bottom of the seventh. You should be more confident with your picks, Heraclitus. Although I think the Mets will prevail in the NL. The Cards are without Izzy, after all, and their starter for Game 1 is... Jeff Weaver. That says it all. Even without Pedro, the Mets will win. Pujols may hit .750 with 9 HRs in the series, but the Mets will win. In six.

Oh, crap. Milton effing Bradley just hit another homer. 7-5 Tigers.

-- MJWS

****

FINAL UPDATE: Okay, now that Granderson just drilled a home run about 400 feet into right-center, I am indeed comfortable proclaiming a Detroit victory here is Game 2. You're right, Michael, I should have more confidence in my picks. I'm awesome.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home