Thursday, October 19, 2006

NLCS, Game 7

By Heraclitus

(Bottom of the fifth.) I really wonder about Tony LaRussa as a manager at this point. I wonder if he's sort of the Marty Schottenheimer of baseball. Great in the regular season, but too conservative in the playoffs. But then, why the hell are both Spezio and Taguchi on the bench? What does that have to do with being conservative. Here's what the Cardinals' starting lineup should be: 1. Eckstein, SS; 2. Taguchi, RF; 3. Spezio, LF; 4. Pujols, 1B; 5. Edmonds, CF; 6. Molina, C; 7. Rolen, 3B; 8. Belliard, 2B; 9. Pitcher. Trust me, that's the lineup they need.

But then again,
watching the Cardinals' hitters, they seem to have no discipline. They just swing at anything.

Perez has great movement on his pitchers. Some of them even look Pedro-esque. Maybe because he's doing that Wade Boggs thing and jumping over the first base line.

I have new respect for Joe Buck after he got that Elvis Costello reference. Although then again, it took a while, so maybe his producer whispered it into his earphones or something. By the way, what was going on the other night, when Buck referred to a picture of Tim McCarver with a Spezio-like beard as "Trotsky," and McCarver replied, "Leon Trotsky. One of my favorites!" One of the weirder things I've ever heard watching sports.

UPDATE, top of the ninth. I have sung the praises of Yadier Molina throughout this series. Now you know why.

Cardinals 3, Mets 1, Final. Wow. That was a pretty amazing game. Who'd a thunk Carlos Beltran would make the last out, striking out looking with the bases loaded?

Nevertheless, I think the Tigers will win the Series easily. And I'll be happy when they do.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home