Tuesday, March 27, 2007

For Tony Snow

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Several days ago Libby wrote a wonderful post on Elizabeth Edwards and her courageous battle with cancer. And now it is also Tony Snow, Bush's press secretary, whose cancer has returned, and spread.

Cancer, of course, crosses party lines and ideological divisions. And this is one of those times when party and ideology should give way to compassion. From all that I have heard and read, Tony Snow is a good and decent man. Like so many on my side of the divide, I have never much cared for his spin on behalf of Bush -- but so what? I know I speak for everyone at The Reaction when I say that we wish him well and that our thoughts are with him and his loved ones as they face the difficult times ahead.

And this is also an occasion, if I may, to express my pride in the blogosphere. Whatever their differences, often bitter, bloggers from across the spectrum are united in their support for Snow, just as they were for Elizabeth Edwards. Here is what some of my favourite bloggers have been saying:

-- Steve Benen: "I'm pulling for him, I applaud his courage and tenacity, and I extend my best wishes to him and his family. Tony, if you see this, I have a good-natured message for you: Get back to work -- so I can go back to telling everyone how wrong I think you are."

-- Ed Morrissey: "I'm praying that Tony will recover and I can still have the pleasure of his company for a short time. Liver cancer is tough, but so is Tony. With our prayers, we can all hope that Tony has plenty of gas left in the tank. And let's not forget Elizabeth Edwards in those prayers, either."

-- Pamela Leavey: "My hope with the recent news of both Elizabeth Edwards and Tony Snow is that Congress will work to get more funding for cancer research. It’s sorely needed... I hope that both Tony Snow and Elizabeth Edwards live long and happy lives."

-- Will Bunch: "In his short time so far as White House press secretary, Tony Snow has struck me as a worthy adversary for a press corps that needs to have more of an adversarial relationship with the White House, and as a decent guy... I hope Snow gets well soon, so he can go back to where he belongs: on the receiving end of some tough questions."

-- Michael Linn Jones: "I know that his political views on most things are much different than mine. But he is also the kind of man I believe you could have a good disagreement and come away with the feeling you've just jousted with a gentleman. A decent one, too... I thank you for choosing the path you did that brought you into our lives. Stay on it. May you continue to irk me for a very long time with your conservative views."

(For more, see Memeorandum.)

Keep fighting, Tony. Friend and foe alike, we're all behind you on this.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Exactly. Agree or disagree with his opinions, but this is beyond politics. I wish him good health as well.

    By Blogger Political Realm, at 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home