Friday, March 23, 2007

Headlines As Victories

By Creature

CNN: House passes spending bill with Iraq deadline

If headlines are victories, then today's passing of the war spending bill in the House is a victory. Though I'm not sure what else the bill is good for. My own ambivalence about today's vote disturbs me. I do think it's important to support Nancy Pelosi and John Murtha in this fight against the White House, but my heart is not in it. I'm not a big fan of compromise when lives are at stake, but anything is better than stay-the-course. Anything. So I congratulate Speaker Pelosi for pulling this off, and hopefully it's a stepping stone to further action and a real withdrawal.

(Cross-posted at State of the Day.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • I feel pretty much the same way, but it is much stronger than what it looked like the caucus would come up with just a week or so ago--even if it is just a first step in a bargaining process with the Senate (and with Bush, if something ever reaches his desk).

    While we are giving credit for something we are less than enthusiastic about, give Rep. Obey some credit. And also the Out of Iraq Caucus, which has suddenly become relevant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home