Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy birthday, LSD

By Libby Spencer

They say if you remember you weren't there, but there are some things I remember vividly from the 60s. LSD is one of them. Via d at Lawyers, Guns and Money, I'm reminded that 69 years ago today, Albert Hofmann discovered lysergic acid diethylamide -- or, in the common vernacular of the day, acid. But it was Abbie Hoffman who made LSD famous when he "turned on and tuned in with 250 micrograms -- ten times the threshold dosage in humans." That reminded of two things.

First was the time I spent with Abbie. I was on the defense team when he was in court with Amy Carter for protesting Iran-Contra at UMass in Amherst. Around the office we called the file "CIA on Trial." Maybe the press did too. I don't really remember. But I do remember Abbie.

We hung around the office after work and he told me stories. He was articulate and charming. He tried to get to get into my pants. He didn't, but I did literally buy the shirt off his back. I gave him eight bucks and he took it off his t-shirt and gave it to me. It was kelly green with yellow lettering that says: My country invaded Nicaragua and all I got was this lousy t-shirt. I still have it.

Reading about his acid trip also reminded me of the time I dropped a four-way barrel of Orange Sunshine acid by mistake when I went to see the Who perform Tommy. It was a long trip and long story. If you're interested in the reminiscences of this old hippie, you can read my recollection here.

(Cross-posted at The Impolitic.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home