Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Two of a kind

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Hugo and Fidel.

This is supposed to be some sort of "working visit," according to Cuban TV. Maybe Fidel and his brother Raul can show Hugo La CabaƱa prison, where their pal Che presided over the mass execution of Hugo's opponents, or maybe they can talk about Che's Soviet-style labour camps and other good ways to brutalize the people in the name of totalitarian revolution.

The Tyrant of Caracas can surely learn a lot from the Tyrant of Havana.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Wow, I'm impressed, I thought Castro- and Chavez-hating was only this prevalent and vicious on the right. The Bush base will be very proud of you on this one.

    By Blogger Elayne, at 12:57 PM  

  • Actually, what I hate is tyranny. Call me a good liberal on that one. Does it matter if it's "leftist" or "righist" tyranny? Apparently it does, to you, but that's a sad sign of how far partisanhip has corrupted us.

    Is it wrong of me to hate tyranny? Would there be any objections if (as I have) I were to object to Pinochet's tyranny? Would, then, some other "base" be proud of me?

    And if I object to what's going on in Darfur, would I be accused of siding with Sam Brownback and the various elements of the religious right who similarly object to it?

    This minor comment reminds of me the hypocrisies of the New Left, which even as late as the '70s closed its eyes or conveniently ignored the abuses of the Soviet Union, and celebrated third-world revolution in places like Cambodia, while attacking the U.S. for every evil under the sun. Has partisanship -- in this case, our opposition to all things Bush -- clouded our judgement so much as to render us incapable of genuine opposition to tyranny?

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home