Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Scenes from the Saffron Revolution

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Our must-read of the day is from Der Spiegel: "Junta Takes Back Control in Burma."

There are no signs of protests in Yangon Monday as thousands of soldiers patrol the Burmese capital. Has the junta succeeded in quelling the Saffron Revolution?

"We will fight until we have achieved democracy," said representatives of the All Burma Monks Alliance, a leading force behind the protests.

It will be a long and bloody fight.

(Make sure to read the article in full. And see my recent posts on the situation in Burma here, here, and here.)

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Hey Michael, I was curious whether you had any opinion on Naomi Klein's latest book, 'The Shock Doctrine'... I consider yours an educated opinion so I would like to know your take. I am three hundred pages in and I am blown away if only at my own ignorance of the circumstances underlying the world events she covers. Is Friedmanism to blame for so much wanton destruction of economies?

    Love the blog, by the way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home