Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Want some syrup for your savior?

By Capt. Fogg

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

_______

Of course that doesn't apply to God's own efforts to show his immanence through the medium of rust or mildew stains or burn marks on grilled cheese sandwiches and pancakes. There's no prohibition against rendering unto eBay that which you'd like to make a buck on that I'm aware of either.

Current or recent eBay offerings include a wine-stain Jesus and something that purports to be Christ on a flapjack but looks more like an upside down cow's udder to me. Nearly anything parabola shaped seems to qualify for either Jesus or Mary.

Sometimes these things draw crowds of pilgrims the way phony relics used to in the time before the net. Sometimes, if they're small enough to put in a box, they draw bidders. But why people see Jesus in junk is a better question for Doctor Rorschach than for me; I'm more concerned that they vote.

(Cross-posted from Human Voices.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • I'm a Christian.

    I don't think Jesus has pseudopodia...

    By Blogger Carl, at 12:28 PM  

  • I don't think so either. In fact the pancake looks more like the Devil to me.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home