Thursday, December 27, 2007

Alas Bhutto

By Capt. Fogg

I wonder if Pakistanis are saying "God, I love freedom" today. I wonder when the idiot in chief will realize that elections in a country without stability or where stability exists only in the iron grip of a dictator, don't by themselves make a democracy.

I have no idea what the future holds for Pakistan and I have little idea what the growing chaos will mean for the US, that country's biggest supporter. I have no idea whether the most radical elements in the tribal areas will gain an advantage, or whether that country will long remain an ally, but I suspect that the upcoming elections are not landmarks on the long and tortuous path to modernity for Pakistan.

The only thing I am sure of is that our administration has no idea about how to promote liberal democracy here or abroad nor how to create the security and stability that such a condition needs in order to thrive. I'm convinced that no country so saturated with religious passion can be the host for freedom or achieve the reasonableness freedom requires.

I mourn not only Benazir Bhutto this morning, but for liberty and for peace.

(Cross-posted from Human Voices.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Musharraf's warning to all political opponents: you could be next!

    He may not be a military man anymore, but he's got plenty of men that would follow his orders.

    Be afraid, be very afraid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM  

  • I am afraid. The world seems to be going mad in the way that only religion can explain. I'm not sure that Musharraf was behind this though. Bhutto, as a female candidate and a relative secularist had many enemies, not the least of whom is al Qaeda.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home