Friday, March 21, 2008

"Typical white person"

By Carl

Excuse me?

“She is extremely proud, and the point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know, there is a reaction that has been bred into our experiences that don’t go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way…

“That’s the nature of race in our society,’’ Obama added in the call to the radio station, “and we have to break through it. And what makes me optimistic is you see each generation feeling a little less like that, and that’s pretty powerful stuff.’’


Excuse me, again? "Typical white person," Mr. "There is no black America, there is no white America, there is only the United States of America"?

EXCUSE ME?????????????

Look, pal, I was a liberal with interracial friends when you were still sitting in madrassah classes in Indonesia. I consider myself a white person and I'd like to think of myself as fairly typical.

I grew up in Manhattan. My dentist was on 125th Street, a few blocks away from where Bill Clinton's office is now. I've played in the fucking Rucker Basketball Tournament in Harlem. Don't lecture me about being afraid of black men, you sanctimonious son of a bitch! I walked down the streets of Harlem alone in the dark when most New Yorkers, white AND black, were afraid to step out their front doors! Even Jesse Jackson
said he would be afraid when he heard footsteps behind him and turned around and saw a black man!

It's nice to know so many of us "progressives" are backing a bigot!

(Cross-posted to
Simply Left Behind.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • hate to break it to ya carl- but outside of the 'civilization' of new york city- there's plenty of white america and black america. take a peek at detroit, michigan or even the wilds of upstate new york- you still have white sections of town and black sections of town- and there is racism. just as there is apparently misogyny from the left against mrs. clinton. both exist- and this might be a newsflash- but the left can be just as rigid and unchanging as the right. trust me- i read quite a few blogs. take a peek at a 'progressive feminist' blog these days and get an eye full. take a peek anywhere- and know that stating a truth doesn't make you a racist or a misogynist.

    By Blogger billie, at 6:14 PM  

  • I hardly think "typical" was meant to mean "all white people". All he was doing was making the point that prejudice is everywhere, including the "soft" prejudice of his grandmother (which, by the way, is what Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? is all about). True, there are exceptions, but, it seems to me, the exceptions only serve to prove the rule.

    How exactly does this make him a bigot?

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 9:13 PM  

  • "I consider myself a white person and I'd like to think of myself as fairly typical."

    I have to agree with Betmo. You're exceptional, Carl. I wish there were more exceptional people and less typical ones, but we're not quite there yet.

    By Blogger Elayne, at 11:07 PM  

  • So it's now bigoted to point out that people of all races and ethnic groups have some biases and prejudices? That doesn't mean that everybody is a bad person, only that it's hard not to take in to some degree the stereotypes and the misogyny and racism that's all around us.

    And you yourself recognize that you are not a typical or average white person when you talk about many New Yorkers being afraid to walk the streets. And yes, black people can have fears about other black people because of the way race has been treated in our society.

    I'm afraid that I can no longer take you seriously. I have many friends that are Hillary Clinton supporters and you are definitely not typical with your Obama Derangement Syndrome.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:08 AM  

  • You're a loser Carl! A bigot! A religious nut that makes no sense.

    Go live under Jesus's rock and rot in heaven.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home