Wednesday, February 17, 2010

John Mellencamp for Senate (?)


Following up on my post from last night -- yes, seriously:

Katrina Vanden Heuvel, editor of The Nation, has suggested a Mellencamp candidacy, as has Roger Ebert. A Facebook page has been put up for that purpose, with 238 members at present. 

Think about it. Makes sense, no? Certainly as much sense, or almost, as Al Franken, and he's turned out to be a great senator so far. (Seriously. He has. Consider his anti-rape bill, for example.)

Who's more Indiana than John Mellencamp?

He was born in a small town, you know, and he may just die in one, too. And he knows you've got to stand for somethin':
 
Well I've been to Harlem County
And I've seen Paris, Texas
And I've spent some time in Rome
I know a lot of funny people
In a lot of funny places
But the Midwest is my home
We've got to start respectin' this world
Or it's gonna turn around and bite off our face

You've got to stand for something
Or you're gonna fall for anything
You've gotta stand right up for somethin'
Or you're gonna fall... for anything...

So very true. And we know the Republicans love to get the American people to fall for their bullshit.

Read his lyrics. The man gets it. From "We Are the People":

If you're feelin' shut down
May my thoughts be with you
If you're a black man bein' beat down and shoved all around
May my thoughts be with you
If your world's gettin' a little to tough
You know our thoughts are with you
Hey, I know that it's crazy out there
And my thoughts are with you

*****

If you are one of the homeless
May our thoughts be with you
If you are scared and alone
You know our thoughts are with you

If you are one of the fortunate ones
We all know it's lonely up there
We understand that nobody's got it made
So our thoughts are with you

*****

You see yourself as a leader
May my thoughts be with you
If you try to divide and conquer
We'll rise up against you
We know only the strong will survive
But the meek will inherit
So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend
I suggest we wear it

It's unlikely, sure, but how would he not be an asset in the Senate?

How would he not bring a different perspective, one far removed from the privileged, corporate centrism of the likes of Evan Bayh? 

How many on Capitol Hill have more compassion and humanitarianism?

Look, I'm not saying I buy it yet. But maybe.

Maybe.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Please John :)

    We need "Real People" in the Senate

    With Melloncamp's popularity we could reawaken the ground swell of youth and enthusiasm that elected OBAMA!
    I'm afraid much of it has wanned since our Visionairy leader compromised his agenda!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

  • And the Republicans could nominate Larry Bird for an honest-to-God, redneck, hick race!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home