Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Quote of the Day: Linda Greenhouse on Arizona's new immigration law


From the "Opinionator" blog at the Times:

I'm glad I've already seen the Grand Canyon.

Because I'm not going back to Arizona as long as it remains a police state, which is what the appalling anti-immigrant bill that Gov. Jan Brewer signed into law last week has turned it into.

*****

The intent of the new Arizona law, according to the State Legislature, is "attrition through enforcement." Breathing while undocumented, without a civil liberties lawyer at hand, is now a perilous activity anywhere in Arizona.

I've never been to Arizona and, alas, I've never seen the Grand Canyon. I'd really like to someday, but I'm in no great rush and, more to the point, have no desire to visit what has become, under Brewer and her Republican ilk, a good ol' right-wing paradise simmering in its own venomous bile.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home