Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What is the GOP's foreign policy?

by Peter Henne

Sometimes I worry that my posts are focused too much on discussing interesting or confusing aspects of US foreign policy or international affairs, rather than engaging in political debates over foreign policy. At times I comment on what President Obama is doing--or not doing--but, with a few exceptions, I rarely go after Republicans.

I'm realizing, however, that there isn't much to go after. I would happily debate new formulations of neo-conservatism or even secretly agree with--with torturous qualifications--a realist foreign policy position, but neither seem to be forthcoming, at least from elected GOP officials.

A perfect example of this is Young Guns, a new conservative political manifesto by Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan, and Kevin McCarthy. I have no intention of buying--or reading--this book, so everything I say will be second-hand. It seems to be pretty predictable fare, and much of the coverage on the book deals with a possible power struggle between Cantor and GOP minority leader John Boehner.

One commentator, however, focused on what Cantor has to say about the Middle East peace process. I was more interested in the revelation that only nine out of almost 200 pages deal with foreign policy.
Nine. Now, again, I haven't read it, so I don't know what the nine pages say. But it really doesn't matter. I would hope that if the GOP really wants to be taken seriously by the American people, they would put a little more thought into foreign policy.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home