Friday, November 12, 2010

"I want to make amends for what I did": Reflections on military service


Today, the day after Remembrance/Veterans Day, I want to direct your attention to this post at ProseBeforeHos by a vet looking back at the Vietnam War and his time in the military. Here's an especially powerful passage:

I recognize the need for a military, and I no longer blame the men and women who choose to serve, although I believe their service is misguided. I do blame our elected officials and corporate leaders who carelessly risk the lives of our military and slaughter millions of innocent civilians overseas solely for profits, and it’s for that reason I continue speaking out. The country is no safer because of my service, mainly because we were never in any danger in the first place, but our leaders knew that. I’ll just keep working and hope I can pay back all that bad karma in this lifetime so I can start anew the next time around.

My most profound wish is peace for all, especially those who fought our hegemonic wars and suffer the torment of PTSD. I hope you all find the way back.

Make sure to read the whole thing.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home