Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blogiversary: Seven years of The Reaction


I usually don't make much of these things, but I wanted to mention that The Reaction is seven years old today.

Yes, it was on March 29, 2005 that I started this blog, and started blogging.

In the very first post, written when I was a graduate student at the University of Toronto, and when I didn't really know what I was doing, I wrote this:

I will comment on an irregular basis on whatever comes to mind. If that sounds self-indulgent, it is, and I make no apologies. This is the blogosphere, after all, and self-indulgence comes with the territory.

In brief, The Reaction is just that: a reaction to all the nonsense out there that passes for intelligent discourse. There's no way I could do it all the justice it deserves, but I'll do my part.

Well, this blog has grown a lot over the years, turning into more of a group blog with a wonderful team of writers, and we certainly comment on much more than an irregular basis, with usually 4-8 new posts up every day, but we're still going after all the nonsense out there, most of it coming from Republicans.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's ever written for this blog, all the great friends I've met in the blogosphere, and all of our readers. It's exhausting keeping this thing going, but I love it, and it's so much a part of who I am.

I hope you keep coming back. We'll certainly continue do our best to make this blog the best it can be.

Seven years. Well over 11,000 posts. Wow. Time flies when you're having fun. Now let's get back to it!

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • Thank you, Michael. I am honored to be a part of this effort, and your guidance and leadership is an inspiration.

    By Blogger Mustang Bobby, at 6:33 AM  

  • congrats michael, and many more years of fine blogging!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:12 AM  

  • Congrats on seven years.

    Many blogs come and go quickly. It takes real dedication to keep a blog going, and thriving, for seven years. I really enjoy The Reaction and I'm happy to be a contributor.
    Seven years ago, America was such a radically different place than it is today. We were still living in one of the darkest eras in U.S. history. Things seemed incredibly bleak.

    Today is much different. But we still have staggering problems (virtually all of them inherited from the Bush era). Obama has turned out to be a disappointment in many ways. But every time I get down about this, I just recall the horrors of the Bush era and that cheers me up.

    Actually, some of the most positive developments in recent years have little to do with politics in Washington. The Occupy movement, for one thing.
    Here is to another seven good years for The Reaction and (hopefully) the emergence of a new, real Progressive movement in the U.S.

    By Blogger Marc McDonald, at 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home