Thursday, April 12, 2012

Photo of the day: Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador



Cape Spear, which is on the Avalon Peninsula near St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada, is the easternmost point in North America. My wife took this picture last week on a return home to see family and friends.

I believe the lighthouse pictured about is the modern, currently working lighthouse at the site, built in 1955. 

It's interesting to note that during WWII a coastal battery of two ten inch guns was constructed at Cape Spear to protect the approach to St. John's harbour from U-boat attacks and other enemy menace.  In 1941, two gun emplacements and underground passages connecting the gun sites to men's barracks were constructed at the tip of the cape. The bunkers and massive gun barrels of this battery still exist.

I have been to Cape Spear, which, jutting as it does out into the North Atlantic, is one of the more frightening pieces of real estate I've ever seen. 

As I stood looking out over the black water of the North Atlantic at this spot, I couldn't help think of how miserable naval and merchant service must have been during the Battle of the North Atlantic in WWII. The whole scene looked dangerous to me even in peacetime.

I was not at all surprised to read that some visitors attracted by the scenery and history have been swept out to sea by unpredictable waves over the years.


(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home