Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Craziest Republican of the Day: Pennsylvania GOP Senate candidate Tom Smith

By Richard K. Barry

According to Think Progress, Tom Smith, the Republican challenging for Sen. Bob Casey's (D-PA) seat, "suggested that having a child out of wedlock was analogous to rape during an interview with a reporter at a press club this afternoon, claiming that it would have a 'similar' effect on a father":

MARK SCOLFORO, ASSOCIATED PRESS: How would you tell a daughter or a granddaughter who, God forbid, would be the victim of a rape, to keep the child against her own will? Do you have a way to explain that?

SMITH: I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to... she chose they way I thought. No don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape.

SCOLFORO: Similar how

SMITH: Uh, having a baby out of wedlock.

SCOLFORO: That's similar to rape?

SMITH: No, no, no, but... put yourself in a father's situation, yes. It is similar. But, back to the original, I'm pro-life, period.

In fairness, Smith knew he stepped in it as soon as he spoke, but he said what he said, which is disturbing.

I think Daily Kos had this one about right:


The hell? So if you're a father, having your daughter have sex out of wedlock or having her raped is pretty much the same thing?

And that's what you base your reactionary anti-abortion stance on? To hell with violence or consent or anything else, it's just some sort of father-daughter property rights thing?

There are Todd Akins everywhere in the GOP. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home